nav bar

Image Map

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Why babywise didn't work.



Opinions. Everyone's got 'em! Especially when it comes to babies.
As a new mother I've come to find that you get tons of unsolicited advice as soon as people find out youre pregnant.

Eat this.
Don't eat that.
Do this.
Don't do that.

There was tons of advice I received as a new mother. One piece of advice that  I got was to follow the book babywise.

"If you follow this book you're baby will be sleeping through the night in no time!" They said.

For the first month of Selah's life I attempted to follow babywise to a T. The only problem is for it to work your baby should be on a 2 1/2 to 3 hour feeding schedule. I wanted so bad for Selah to do something by the books but nothing seemed to be working.

I was also so frustrated with how breastfeeding was going. I knew that to get her on a set schedule she would have to have long feedings. Well as hard as I tried I couldn't get her to eat for more than 5 minutes! It was so emotionally draining for me because not only was I stressing the fact that I was not able to do babywise but I was also so worried that Selah wasn't getting the amount of food she needed.

Feeding a baby every hour + a hormonal postpartum mama= lots and lots of tears.

After about a month of tears(mine not Selah's) I finally gave up my control and gave it to God. I was done fretting about something I obviously could not change on my own.
And you know what? Things got so much easier after that! No more tears, no more stress. Just feeding my baby whenever she was hungry.

Coincidentally after I gave up control to God, Selah started sleeping through the night. We're talking 8 hours people. No babywise involved. We're blessed for sure.

So although I know that babywise does work for some people, it just didn't work for us.

And you know what? That's okay.

I've come to find since being a mommy that you have to trust your own instincts and go with the flow sometimes. Every baby is different-and so is every mama! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'm starting a new type of "baby-sense" type parenting stuff...it's called "trust your instincts."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this girl!! You are an inspiration :) I'm so glad Selah is sleeping through the night. :)

    ReplyDelete